Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Show Us Your Life - Books

Ahh, now here is a subject I can get into! This week, Kelly is talking about favorite books or kids books for Show Us Your Life.

Show Us Your Life with Kelly's Korner

When I was little, you could almost always find me with my nose in a book. I think if you ask my parents they would tell you that pretty much all I did was read. My brother would take off on his bike with his fishing pole toward the lake. My sister would take off for Kari's house. I would take off for the library. I could spend hours there.

Some of my favorites were the Babysitter's Club books, the Sweet Valley High books, anything by Roald Dahl, anything by Beverly Cleary, and anything by Judy Blume.

Right now, Tricia has found a pretty cool series of books: The Doll People, The Meanest Doll in the World, and The Runaway Dolls by Ann M. Martin and Laura Godwin. So far, we are about half way through the first one and it is pretty good. I have also been pretty interested in the Magic Treehouse series of books, although sadly Tricia has pretty much outgrown them already. The future teacher in me loves that many of the books have nonfiction counterparts that can really teach kids something.

While lately my life has been consumed with books like Teaching and Reading in Middle School, Math for Elementary Teachers, and Science for Elementary Teachers, I have still managed to find time in between semesters to read for pleasure.

I DEVOURED the Twilight series in about 10 minutes flat. The Harry Potter books were like an illness for me too ... I had to have each new book as it was released and then suffered from total letdown for a year while waiting for the next. When I pick up a Jodi Piccoult or James Patterson or Nicholas Sparks book, I cannot stop reading until it is done. Oh, and let's not forget anything by Dan Brown or Nora Roberts. Sometimes a good fluff book like a Jennifer Weiner is an absolute must!

I also have to mention two books that I just got ... The Simpsons in the Classroom and I Will Carry You. The Simpsons was co-written by my lovely college roommate and her friend. And, well, you all should know about Audrey's story. If you don't, please head over to Angie's website to read some of her very inspirational words.

And now, even more exciting is the fact that, just tonight, the girls and I made a very quick Sioux Falls run where I bought myself a lovely new thing. I got a NOOK! It is currently charging up so that I can get it activated and start reading! Tricia can hardly wait to get her hands on it too.

So, there you have it. Honestly, if I could spend my life reading, I would totally do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment