Kelly is doing Show Us Your Life again today. And guess what ... I can participate again! This week she is doing "How you met your husband". Well, I can talk about that!
It was the summer before my senior year at USD, so that would be like May 1997. I had decided to break up with Greg but kind of had taken him back. Let's just say that we were at strage point in our relationship. I was back to working at Gannon's for the summer as the opening waitress. Opening waitress as in, I got to work every morning by about 5:00 and was done by 1:30. I loved the hours! I wish I could work that kind of hours now. Anyway, Dave was working there as manager. He basically worked wherever they needed him: cook, bartender, wait staff, a pretty face to greet customers, etc. One day, shortly after my 21st birthday, my friend Samantha and I celebrated my "legalness" by having lunch and then hanging out in the bar for the afternoon. Dave joined us after his shift was done.
I don't remember how or why, but at some point during the afternoon, Dave leaned over and kissed me. A perfect first kiss that still gives me goosebumps when I think about it. Shortly after that first kiss, with Dave holding my hand under the table, Greg walked into the bar. I think he knew just by looking, that we were now off-again. (there is quite a bit more to this story, but I know that grandma likes to read this blog ...)
The rest, as they say, is history. I think we both knew almost instantly. We were inseparable the rest of the summer. I don't remember when we went looking for rings. But I remember it was October 13, 1997, a Monday morning, when I was wearing that ring. Not one person in my family was happy about it. It was difficult for many people to understand what a 38-year-old would see in a 21-year-old. But for some reason, we just clicked.
We had a very long engagement and finally got married May 1, 1999 so we'll have our 11-year anniversary next week. And even through some difficult times, here we are still together, still loving each other, and still (on most days) happy as clams.
So, when they say to look at your workplace for the love of your life, we are proof positive that it does work ... even the ever-so-naughty dating your boss can turn out okay sometimes!

No comments:
Post a Comment