Student teaching weeks one and two are in the books! The first week was a very short week with Tuesday being the Connecting Home and School day, we had students for only three days.
The 2nd grade class is filled with 22 simply adorable little ones. My very first goal was to learn names. I was familiar with about four of the students but the rest I saw for the first time on Tuesday. Plus, almost all the boy names are so similar! Two Dawsons, two Aarons, a Brendan and a Brandon, and a Dylan and a Dellan! Ahhh! But I have managed to get all the names down already. It is really easier than I thought it would be.
As for actual teaching, I taught just one lesson the first week. It was a combination art / team building lesson called Squiggle Picture. It was fun and the kids did a great job. I also did a lot of help prepping, helping with seat work and transitioning students from one place to another. The second week I taught a math lesson - the dreaded subtraction! I have also pretty much taken over correcting the daily math and language work. Next week I'll take over quite a bit more of the reading/language arts activities and then the following week I'll start doing more math as well.
I have gotten so many great ideas though! There are so many little activities that are fun and educational at the same time.
One great idea that I will try to use in the future is a toothpaste activity. Each kid gets a paper plate and a glob of toothpaste. One by one, they are told to put their toothpaste back into the tube. Of course the kids think it is great fun to get messy and full of toothpaste. The symbolism behind the activity is that we cannot take back our words once they are said. Rule number one in our classroom is to say nice words to each other so this activity is a great tie-in!
Most of all, I am having so much fun! I love every second of student teaching. I pray every day that I will get a job very quickly!
No comments:
Post a Comment